Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Relapse.

Damn. I'm running around in circles over here. I almost feel drunk. I am four post in and about to stab myself in the eye because I feel like this post will be trash in comparison to yesterday. But, I have to remember that I don't have to be emo to feel accomplished. This is a learning process. So if five is worse than four that's fine. Just as long as six is better than five. No relapsing around here. This ain't no drug habit.

So this is actually my third post I’ve started today. I'll end up finishing the others later. Just know that the first line of one is, "You can go ahead and kiss my ass now if you think Kobe is the next Mike." Yeah I know it needs a little work. I just don't have the time or the patience to really write something I would be happy with at the moment.Today's post is not going to have any direction what so ever. So these are just my thoughts.

Gilly Heads.

Assuming you all don't know, let me in form you now. My favorite player currently playing in the NBA is Gilbert Arenas, also known to me as Gilly (he hates that name by the way). Well, it’s kind of funny because by the time I'll get to see Gil in person I should be about 150-175 blogs in and about that many words in the thousands. What is funny about that is he is really the reason why I'm blogging now. He has been blogging for two years through the NBA's Fan Voice. (You should really make a point to read them they're hilarious.) Well anyway, I have some big plans to market myself and my blog for next season. I am going to attend every basketball game Gilbert plays in California permitting he is not playing for a California team, in which then I'll be going to more than four but less than 46. I will see him twice in LA, once in the Bay Area, and once in Sacramento. I am planning on going to every game with a I love Gilbert shirt on and a BIG ASS GILLY HEAD. I don't know how many of you watch basketball consistently but the New Orleans Hornets had a genius idea to market Peja. They have these guys running up and down the aisles with huge cardboard cut outs of Peja's head. Well my head is going to be a little different. I will just sit in the stands with a four foot tall gilly head but on the back its going to say "Blog About Me (http://www.betterthanyourbetter.blogspot.com/)" I am going to be mentioned in Gilbert's blog next year and when I do I'll be sure to send you the link.

I do not like Kobe Bryant or the Lakers.

However, that does not mean I'm crazy enough to say they are not great. I was born and raised a Chicago Bulls fan and in case you don't know me I'm 22 years old. This means most of my “growing up years” were in the 90’s when Chicago ran the NBA. So when I say I am a Chicago fan that means I'm still a Chicago fan, Joakim Noah and all. So for those of you who still cannot fathom why it is okay for someone like me to not be a Lakers fan let me further explain. I will preserve the legacy of my favorite player of all time for the remainder of my natural life. So when some kid comes in the league dominating I do not feel as if they should just start slapping labels on him, calling him the next Michael Jordan and what not. No. So for that reason I cannot bring myself to "like" Kobe Bryant. Ever since he came in the league all I can remember is the comparison talk I hate so much. Kobe will never be Michael Jordan but I will touch on that more later. So, by default I would dislike any team Kobe was on. He could have stayed with Charlotte and I would have disliked the Hornets. It does not matter to me. I don't dislike Kobe because he allegedly raped that white girl. I don't dislike Kobe because he is a raw scorer. I don't dislike Kobe because he has a fucked up attitude and he's selfish. I dislike Kobe for one reason only, and it’s not even his fault. But really, is it ever?

Why Kobe will never be Mike.

There will never be another Michael Jordan again, ever. Just like there will never be another Larry Bird, another Magic Johnson, another Charles Barkley, another Domonique Wilks, another Julius Earving, I mean, these guys are legends because they were themselves. They were a unprecedented commodity that blessed the NBA with years of talent and rivalries. I know there will never be another Kobe Bryant, another LeBron James, another Gilbert Arenas (had to throw that in there). Let's not waste time comparing the two and let dude be who he is, Kobe mutha fuckin Bryant. The guy who scored 81 points. The guy who will always be the most raw scorer in the history of the NBA. No one can take that away from him. No one. So why does everyone consistently want to take Mike's accomplishments away from him? I was reading the USA Today this morning and on the front of the sports section there was a article about how Kobe Bryant has matched Jordan's skills but he will never match his likeability. Who gives a fuck? Really. What Kobe does off the court, sexing up 19 year old front desk clerks, ratting his teammates out, demanding trades, that is none of our business. Let the man do as he pleases and stop judging him. No he is not a role model for your children, you are. No he is not the one who should be setting examples for your children, you are. So stop being so hard on him. All he wants is to be an individual who stands alone on his accomplishments. I know there are things that you or I may not like about him, but why tarnish his God given talents for that. Kobe deserved the MVP award this season, and I'm happy he received it. Had he not after a season like this, I know he would never receive one. Ever. In my opinion, Mike and KB don't even remotely play the same style of game. They just play the same position, and for that they are constantly compared. Let Michael’s legacy stand and let Kobe create his own. I feel sorry for the kid that comes in the league in five years because every thing he does will be compared to Kobe Bryant. His likeability, his style of play, and his choices off the court will all play a role in his success. I would love to say we’ll move forward from this comparison game. However, I know we will not, and you know what? That is a damn shame.

It’s 1am.

It took me forever to write today. A little here and a little there, but no words that just flowed from my fingertips like on a good day. I'm forcing words now. Everything I wrote earlier is forced, but I can't bring myself to stop yet. If I am going to reach 100,000 words by the end of the summer I cannot have many more days like this. The problem is I do not just want 100,000 forced words. I do not want just a whole bunch of rubbish. I want 100,000 words I am going to want to read again. Today I told my mom about my goal and how I have been slacking on my writing today. She said, “It is okay. You don’t have to write everyday. Who knows, tomorrow you just might write 5,000 words.” I doubt it. But, I hope something will flow tomorrow, well today. =/

Being their support.

I had someone thank me for supporting them today. But little do they know they support me way more than I ever could them. I know for a fact I would not be up this late writing had it not been for those encouraging words I receive every day on their behalf. Friendships are crazy sometimes. You meet someone and never know that even years later you will be the best of friends. You never know you will have so much in common. People are placed in your life for a reason, a season, or a life time. And I always shoot for two of the three. And in this special friendship I am lucky to have that. I know I would not be here today, writing 1,300 words shooting for 100,000 had I not had someone to share it with. So for your support, your friendship, and just being you, I thank you.

Doing things everyday.

I am setting a goal to finish my DVD library this summer. I will be spending a better part of my blogs explaining what I loved about the movie and what I hated about it. Not really a synopsis, but more of a review. I’m still on my frosty kick. I’m three frosties into my summer. It’s funny because I’m going to start relating time to words and frosties. “Oh you know 10,000 words and 8 frosties ago.” Damn. Also, this is my usual time to get my work out on. I do not work out at all for nine months of the year. I mean at all at all. But everyday of summer I swim at least 30 minutes. I always feel good in the summer and I know this is why. There is just something about working out everyday. I can wake up earlier in the morning. I tend to eat better. I am just in a better mood all around. I’m sure this will have a positive effect on my writing.

It’s 2am.

I need to rest my head, my mind, and my fingertips. I’m sorry to disappoint. This was 1,700 words of pure garbage. However, tomorrow is a new day, and like I said six will be better than five.

Peace and Love.


(5,449 words and counting...)

P.S. I did not count Kanye's words from the song yesterday. I forgot to make that known. Oh and hundred thou... here we come.

2 comments:

Dame said...

I dare you make me second guess and seriously reaccess and contemplate the worthiness of my Jordan/ Kobe comparisons lol

I hear you point and you made in a very convincing way (well sans placing Agent 0 in the same light as Nique, Bird, Mike and them), but I don’t so much disagree them just interject that comparison is a initiate human action which often creates much of the enjoyment we garner for the sports, art etc, we love.

Slanderous pontifications meant to be demeaning aside, I always found the Kobe Mike side by sides undertook by the media and fans alike extremely valid and understandable from both sides.

While their upbringing, career path, and games might be different, Kobe and Mike’s sheer ability, super star qualities and championship status are similar enough to support the raucous back and forth they cause.

We all know Kobe from a league and corporate standpoint was groomed/ prepped /bread/ expected to be the next Mike in ways that all the other “Next Jordans” from Harold Minor to Jerry Stackhouse weren’t.

Nice safe amiable black man with talent found nowhere else in the universe except encapsulated within his person, along with work ethic and desire needed to be a champion that curiously are severely under reported in relation to the former traits.


I understand what and why Kobe said what he said, from the p.r to the personal.

I also feel it’s a shame, because the lack of clear honest debate about this subject will keep the artist formally know as #8 from getting the respect he truly deserves.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you counted Kanye's words or not but I just figured that Hilary Clinton makes up and math and counts what she wants and so can you.